Monday, May 11, 2009

Banding Together: Slowly But Surely


Finally, a lifetime of waiting has come to an end... I'm in a band. Technically, more than one person is considered a band, so we're a band, okay?!? Singer/Songwriter/On-Air DJ/Koala-Rights-Activist Jordin Silver and I have been jamming for a few months now. How we met may be the best part of the story. It's the classic "We met online". I responded to a classified ad she posted in the Stranger. The post's heading was "Do you like oldies, but you're not old?". I guess even with that heading, a bunch of people 40 years and older replied. After my initial reply, there was a back-and-forth of about 15 emails, exchanging pictures, personal info, mp3 samples, musical tastes etc. We met up at Boom Noodle in Capitol Hill for the first time right before Halloween '08. Weird. It seems like a couple months ago, but I guess we've known each other for over 6 months! Anyways, Jordin DJ's for an alternative rock radio station in Seattle in the evenings. This means two things: Finding time to get together and practice has been tough (from 10pm-1am during the week) however, we do get to use really nice studio equipment. Fair trade, I say.

Thus far, we've managed to complete one song. That's it. But I like it, and that's very important to me. I feel like I would spend 8 months if it meant a song I could stand behind. We've got about 4 or 5 others in the works, and I'm sure we'll have them all done within a couple months. The fun/challenging part is that we're still discovering 'our sound' and identity. I kinda just let Jordin take the reigns and weigh in during the recording and production process. I LOVE the whole process of making music. Writing, recording, editing, re-editing etc... It's all so fun and creatively stimulating. I'm so glad I'm a part of this thing. It's the outlet I need. I've tried acting, which can be fun, but the time committment is ridiculous. I'm digging the band. We're gonna have a lot of fun with this project.

Check out our song, "Mates of Souls", here: http://www.myspace.com/theeastend

No comments: