Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mother Mother with Sister Sister

Last night I caught an AMAZING show at the High Dive, to which I took my sister for her birthday. Mother Mother is a newer band out of Vancouver BC that has really zeroed in on a unique sound. Drummer is hyper-talented, Bassist plays bass, clarinet and sax (maybe more), two backup female vocals also play keys and the lead singer/songwriter/wicked guitarist runs the show with complete control. They all seem under 25, yet the sound they produce sounds like it's taken decades to cultivate. The harmonies and chord progressions and rhythmic syncopation were staggering. I've never heard a band make sounds the way they do. The lead singer was so eccentric and spot on he reminded me of early David Bowie. I know that's saying a lot, but this guy has what it takes to be something important in music. I hope the industry is kind to this band. They deserve it.

No comments: